Our professional career counselors can guide you through all of the necessary steps to get the job you want, whether it takes a few days or a few years.
Career Training Services
If you are having a hard time deciding which career will enjoy and/or which career will fulfill your needs, our professional career counselors can help with:
- Information about wages, job demand, training requirements and local employers who are hiring in the career field that you prefer.
- Interest and abilities testing that will help you chose a career you will enjoy and help you measure the skills that have and focus on the skills you need to develop to succeed in that career.
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act – will provide assistance with tuition, books & fees for eligible persons to attend community college curriculum courses (up to two years). Eligible persons include those who lose their jobs because of business closures, unemployed and underemployed adults, and youth from low income families.
- Trade Adjustment Assistance – will provide tuition, books, fees and other assistance for those persons who loose their jobs because of business closures that are the result of business relocation to other countries or closures resulting from foreign competition.
- Pell Grants and College Scholarships are available to persons who meet specific income guidelines.
Foundational Skills to Succeed
If you aren’t sure you have the skills you need to enroll in the training program you want, we can help determine your current skill levels and, if needed, help you build the skills you need. Building your skills can be done in the classroom, over the internet or in a teacher assisted self-paced learning environment.
- WorkKeys® – A set of assessments that document your current skills in math, reading, locating Informaiton (using charts, graphs & gages), observation, listening, teamwork and writing.
- CareerReady 101® – an on-line learning system (using the WorkKeys Skill Areas) that students can use anytime anywhere they have high-speed Internet access.
- GED (General Equivalance Diploma) Classes – GED classes are offered in several locations throughout the region during the days and evenings. Instruction is provided by A-B Tech and Blue Ridge Community College.