“To provide employers and job seekers a fully integrated system of employment, education, and training services for the purpose of developing the economic strength and global competitiveness of this area.”
Who We Are
The Mountain Area Workforce Development Board (MAWDB) is created through federal legislation and serves Buncombe, Henderson, Madison and Transylvania counties. Over 50% of the Board’s membership is comprised of representatives from private industry. The remaining members represent Economic Development Agencies, Education, Community Based Organizations, Organized Labor and Local Government.
Our budget approaches $2 million annually and we allocate those funds for skill training in the four-county area. All services provided through the NC Works Career Centers are free of charge unless otherwise noted.
What Does The MAWDB Do?
- Develops a single, comprehensive strategic plan for the four-county area by identifying workforce development issues and the needs of local businesses.
- Continually evaluates and assesses workforce needs and assures quality programs to meet those needs.
- Promotes partnerships and maintains active involvement with business, industry and education.
- The Workforce Development Board allocates funds for NCWorks Career Center operations and a number of job training programs.
- Selects operators of the NC Works Career Centers and oversees the operation of centers in each county.
- Advises elected bodies and other interested organizations on workforce development issues upon request.
Our Core Beliefs
- Every individual deserves an opportunity to develop their skills and earn a living wage with benefits.
- People can successfully be engaged in and advance in the workforce if provided the necessary encouragement, training and support.
- The Local Area economy depends on having a skilled, diverse, motivated and adaptable workforce.
- Partnerships and collaborations among government, business, and community-based stakeholders are essential for building and sustaining an effective Workforce Development System.
- The Workforce Development System must be held accountable and measurement of its overall performance made public.